Bonjour Belles!


H. Shar
21 years old
Singapore
Youtube addict
loves makeup and anything beauty
Arcade Goddess
Music Lover
Ultimate Bookworm

Tweet Me



BEST makeup removers ever.
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 | 0 comments
Good day to all~!

Photobucket


(ignore the awkward intro, still getting used to this whole blogging thing)

I have something really exciting to talk about and I really wanna share with everyone. But first some background info:

- My skin type is oily, super sensitive & acne-prone. (which is a very sad combination trust me)

- I never had bad acne or bad skin as a teenager. I had mostly clear and normal skin. But all of a sudden, after turning 20, my skin went BALLISTIC on me. I started breaking out like there's no tomorrow and I got so freaked out, I went to the doctor and was then diagnosed with Adult Acne.

- I was prescribed an acne medication. Antibiotics and a topical treatment called Clyndoxyl. I took it for afew months and switched up my entire skincare routine. It seriously helped clear out most of my cystic acne. BUT...

- I formed a MAJOR ALLERGIC reaction to Benzoyl Peroxide. =( And had to go off the meds and take allergy meds instead.

- Safe to say that it is a tough journey to clear skin, and I haven't achieved that yet. I am still struggling with acne, but I am now more informed after researching and trying out products that work well for my skin type.

OKAY ENOUGH of the sob story. Moving on to my HOLY GRAIL makeup remover...

MICELLAR WATER!!

I cannot EMPHASIZE enough (and this is me, EMPHASIZING the crap out of this) how important it is to remove ALL traces of makeup off your face before you go to bed. Or even better, once you reach home. Trust me, I should know 'cos I used to be those bad lazy girls who can't get their ass off the bed and to the sink to remove the gunk from our faces. This will lead to CLOGGED PORES, POSSIBLE BREAKOUTS, DIRTY PILLOW CASES (leads to transfer of bacteria)... Needless to say, this is essential for anyone but especially so for those who are acne-prone like me. I know, I know, it is a pain in the butt, especially when you have tons of makeup on and it seems like it will take hours of wiping to get it off. BUT IT IS WORTH IT.

Because...

- Helps prevent breakouts and clogged pores
- Helps fight acne by taking away the bacteria
- Helps the rest of your skincare regime to perform better as it will penetrate the skin better

I have tried many types of makeup removers from oil-based (to remove waterproof makeup) to facial wipes. I do not recommend facial wipes, unless you are really gonna collapse from utter exhaustion. Those wipes are only good for getting rid of the first layer of makeup but does not do much in clean the SKIN. The oil based ones are GREAT for heavy-duty makeup and melts everything off. However, be careful and read the ingredients. I have found that certain types break me out. The best one for ALL SKIN TYPES, even more so for sensitive types like mine... Choose Micellar Water.

What is Micellar Water??

Basically, it is water that has 'micelles' in them. Micelles are an aggregate of surfactant molecules dispersed in a liquid colloid. Through the process of polymorphism, these molecules grab hold of dirt and helps clean surfaces. It is often used in detergents as well. OBVIOUSLY, this is a milder version of a different pH level that suited for your skin. It is honestly, MIRACLE WATER. It looks and feels like water but it behaves like a super-strong makeup remover, that will take any makeup off, even the waterproof ones. Most micellar waters are perfume free, oil free and are used as cleansers. So you don't even have to rinse-off after using them. Hence, this is also perfect for very sensitive, dry skin as rinsing with water might strip some of the natural oils on your face.

How do I use it??

VERY SIMPLE. Take a cotton pad, pour the product on it and then wipe it on your face. This removes heavy eye makeup as well. For stubborn mascaras, just leave the soaked cotton pad on you eye for about 30 secs, pressing and rubbing gently, before wiping and easing the makeup off.

Any recommendations??

Most french skincare companies have micellar water/cleanser/lotion. It is all the rage there so if you look for any French based company (such as La Roche Posay, Avene, etc), chances are that they will have a micellar product. It might be a bit tough to get in Singapore as we are more used to the generic eye makeup remover or oil-based removers. But it is not impossible to find. Here are some that I have found:

For those with more of budget, you can go to high end makeup counters. I know that Lancome definitely sells one. But for one who is looking for a luxury one that is free of parabens, perfumes and from an organic brand. The Caudalie Cleansing Water with Micellar Solution is a great buy.


Can be found at Sephora with all the other Caudelie products.Containing extracts of grape, plant glycerine, alpha bisabolol (camomile extracts), mint, caraway and galbanum, there is a very light scent that is fresh and pleasant - and it feels so gentle on the skin. However, this one might be better suited for those who don't wear SUPER heavy, waterproof makeup as it might be a tad too gentle. But it is GREAT for the skin.


A good cheaper alternative that is similar to Caudalie in terms of organic and natural ingredients would be Plante System Cleansing Micellar Water With the P.E.S. plant complex and extract of Ruscus. Pure, formulated from the P.E.S. plant complex and extracts of ruscus with normalising and soothing properties, ROSAKALM cleansing micellar water eliminates impurities and all traces of make-up. I managed to find this in our local Guardian pharmacy, but only some carried them. I am sure that the one at Clementi mall does. Costs only S$29.90, which is a great price for a large 500ml bottle.


For those with drier, more sensitive skin and is looking for some moisturizing properties that will soothe the skin and add moisture whilst removing makeup. My recommendation would be the Avene Micellar Lotion Cleanser, available at any local drugstore that carries Avene. This product is PERFECT for those with drier skins as it contains the Avene Thermal Spring Water and chamomile that will help soothe the skin. Also it has hyaluronic acid that helps to replenish moisture, while removing all the yucky stuff from your face.

I am currently using the Bioderma Sensibio H2O. This has a major cult following in France and the craze is spreading all over the world as this received rave reviews by professional makeup artists worldwide. Even my IDOL, Lisa Eldrige, swears by this product. It is a tougher micellar solution in the sense that it takes OFF everything. EV-ERY-THING. Still suitable for sensitive skins too, but maybe not as moisturising and soothing as those with added ingredients. The bioderma line is sold in guardian as well. But so far I only came across it at the one n Vivo City. So do go there if you wanna check this product out. They have small trial sized ones that cost S$15.90 for 100ml, if I am not wrong.

FINALLY, for those on a budget and wanna try this out first before splurging on 500ml bottles. I highly recommend the Bourjois Eau Micellaire Demaquillante (which is just french for Micellar Cleansing Water), sold in BHG and certain SASA outlets. This one is similar to Bioderma as it has a micelle-rich formula. Thus giving a much more thorough clean and effective on waterproof makeup. Also, it contains white lotus (nymphaea alba) extracts, with soothing and hydrating properties for the skin. Hypoallergenic, this micellar water is formulated without alcohol or fragrance to assure optimal skin tolerance. This is a BARGAIN and BANG for your buck 'cos a large bottle of this costs only S$14.90. AMAZE-BALLS!!

ALRIGHTY~~

I have rambled ENOUGH about micellar water, but I really do have a passion for it. Having sensitive skin is a PAIN, but with this I don't have to worry. I do recommend a double cleanse for those using heavier makeup or with oilier skin.

DO TRY THEM and let me know what you guys think!

xoxo,
H.

Labels: , ,


Older Post | Newer Post